Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Retail Stores, Overpricing, and Vanguard

A while ago, someone over at Pojo mentioned that their local Meijer (a department store in some states) had started carrying Vanguard boosters. This came as a shock to many, because no one was expecting a mass release anytime soon, and this means that it's clearly becoming more available. Of course, this was about a month ago, why I'm writing today is because people have started finding Vanguard booster packs at their local Walmarts. Before I even read about it online, my friend was telling me how he saw some packs at a Walmart nearby. Then when I went onto Pojo, there was a thread on it. My initial reaction was to ask about the prices, and of course, they are 4 dollars. 4 dollars for 5 cards, with one of them being commons that you could choose  as single cards for 25 cents. So basically, you're paying 3 dollars for a rare or higher, with about 1/3 chance of getting something that goes for 3 dollars or more.

That said, I guess I'm not someone to talk about packs with, since if I'm going to get packs, I'll get a box, guaranteeing one of each rare, 5RRs, and 3RRRs (or SPs) for 60 (give or take a couple dollars). Anyways, the point is that retail stores (and many local game stores) are basically doubling the price of booster packs, and the closest store to me sells decks for over 20, which is ridiculous. I understand that this is because it is hard to get Vanguard cards right now, but if that's really the reason, then I feel that I am probably able to get cards for cheaper than game stores, which is not good. Seeing as I've been able to get decks for about 10 each and boosters for about 2, I am continuously surprised by how many people I see actually giving in to 4 dollar packs and the fact that my local game store has actually had to restock on decks a few times now...

Of course, 15 dollar decks are available online and if you look, you can find cards for much cheaper. Of course, many people don't bother to look. When I can have decks shipped from a card store in New York come out to cheaper than decks in a no tax area bought at the store, it's clear that they are overpricing. Of course, as far as decks go, Walmart doesn't seem to carry any of those, probably meaning that the distributors are asking too much. If anyone knows how much distributors sell for, please let me know. If not, I'll figure that out soon enough hopefully for myself soon enough...

I highly recommend buying cards online and not paying 25 dollars for a deck ever. I didn't even pay that much to import the Japanese decks from Japan...that was about 30 for two...

7 comments:

  1. well it happens importing isn't cheap and when you import or get product from a company the store it self thats selling the cards are selling the cards 200% of what they paid for ...for example say shipping 20 boxes of set 2 cost them less then 800.00 (remember example number) so each back should come up to a less then 50 cents a pack and since we live in a world of greed well thats that(i can explain more in detail but that would be a pain cause numbers are a bitch)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I see what you're saying, I'm still annoyed that some stores try to make significantly more off of them than others.

      Delete
    2. well, more that they actually succeed. >_<

      Delete
  2. well at least you get a chance to get them where Im from (winnipeg manitoba canada..yes we are real) NO STORES SALES THE CARDS!!! when i play with my buddy at the local shops people give me that dirty look saying...its not going to last

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stores order them based on popularity in the area. It's really up to players to get stores to carry them. I know the feeling, though, whenever I'd play with my friend, people at the store would give us weird looks and say, "oh, you're playing THAT game," sounding annoyed. Of course, a couple months later when they got decks, half of the people in the store were playing THAT game. Anyways, it's getting more attention now, and I'd imagine if it does get sold in your area, some of the people giving you dirty looks will be playing themselves.

    I do love being able to play with more people than just the friends I taught the game, too, so I guess overall, I'm complaining about a good thing. I wanted Vanguard to be available at a store nearby, and sure enough, it is. Unless they were exceptionally cheap, I'd still end up buying online, so I'm not sure why the prices bother me so much.

    I'm not sure why I get annoyed at something that doesn't really hurt me. It's just painful watching people pay 25 dollars for a deck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah unless you get a custom made deck you at looking at hefty cost XD
      but still theres nothings here in my city >.< really sucks!

      Delete
    2. Plus, you can easily get a deck on ebay for 15 with free shipping. Heck, I've gotten a deck and 3 packs for 11 dollars before...

      Delete